LONDON — A former Anglican priest who served the Chippewas of the Thames and Oneida Nation of the Thames communities in the 1990s was found guilty on all counts in the sex abuse of four boys.
David Norton, 72, was facing four counts of indecent assault and one count of sexual assault.
The victims testified earlier this month to the methodical sexual grooming and horrific sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of Norton when they were children.
Norton defended himself by claiming the physical contact he had with the children when they were under his care was limited to hugs.
A London judge acquitted Norton of one count of indecent assault but guilty of sexual assault for the same victim. On the other three charges of indecent assault against the other three victims — the judge said Norton was guilty of all charges and said Norton’s defence evidence did not “ring true”.
Norton is already in custody, serving four years for sexual interference in the abuse of another boy from the communities.
In a statement from the Anglican Diocese of Huron in February 2018 following Norton’s scandal and charges coming into the public — church officials said, “We are grieved by his actions and the harm that has been caused to the victim and his family and continue to pray for healing.”
The Diocese confirmed Norton resigned from his ministry on May 2, 2016.
Sentencing for Norton in the new conviction is set for January 25, 2019.