Monture and Green await decision in Detlor case
BRANTFORD – Bill Monture and Lester Green of Six Nations are charged with assault for the removal of Aaron Detlor from his leased space in Ohsweken last year. After several days in court Justice Peter Bourque said he might have his decision in early October.
Monture 61, and Green, 39, are part of the Men’s Fire and say there were acting under an innate responsibility and at the request of Clanmothers to remove Detlor from Six Nations territory. Expert in Haudenosaunee Land Governance Tekarontake “Paul Delaronde” later confirmed this responsibility in court.
Final submissions were made on September 18, 2017. Andrew Furgiuele, defence attorney for Monture and Green said that the two men should be acquitted of any charges because they were acting under their traditional system, and if the federal government is to honour all indigenous traditions, then this act of removal, or, banishment from the territory should be also.
Ed Slater, assistant crown attorney submitted that the Criminal Code of Canada should apply on Six Nations.
“The idea that the Criminal Code does not apply there is incompatible with the sovereignty of Canada,” he said.
Slater also submitted that the removal by the Men’s Fire was a “senseless act” and that it was intended to embarrass and humiliate Detlor. Detlor said in court several weeks ago that he was indeed embarrassed by the removal.
After submissions Justice Bourque said that he would do his best to have a decision in two weeks.