Local man sent to hospital after house fire

SIX NATIONS – A devastating house fire sent one local man to hospital late last week.

At 1:14 a.m. on Friday morning Six Nations Firefighters were dispatched to a house on Sixth Line with reports of a house fire and someone possibly trapped inside.

Six Nations Firefighters responded quickly and arrived to find the home engulfed in flames and smoke. A man from Six Nations was located inside the house and rescued by first responders.

The man was treated on the scene by Six Nations Advanced Care Paramedics and Haldimand County Ambulance. He was later transported to West Haldimand General Hospital in Hagersville and then air lifted to a Hamilton hospital for further treatment.

In a Facebook comment, Fire Chief Matt Miller thanked the volunteer firefighters for their quick response to the early morning blaze.

Miller shared an emotional statement to the volunteer squad saying, “I want to recognize the efforts of our brother and sister firefighters Dakota Brant, Mark Starrett, Nichole Martin, Mark Johnson, Brent Cronkwright and Captain Howard VanEvery who responded to the structure fire early this morning. SNFD was once again pushed to our limits at last night’s house fire but those who responded were still able to get the job done, successfully rescue a member of our community as well as extinguish the fire. Last night’s efforts would not have been successful had it not been for the timely response and efforts put in by all involved.”

Miller wrote, “As a result of the teamwork displayed, the rescued victim arrived at a specialty medical centre in Hamilton in an extremely timely manner. Cameron, Dakota, Mark S, Nichole, Mark J, Brent and Howie, you saved a life. I cannot put into words how proud I am of all you and what you all did this morning as a team. Thank you.”

Firefighters aggressively fought the house fire and were able to contain the blaze and protect other homes nearby. Official cause of the fire and damage estimates have not been released at this time.

Investigators from the Ontario Fire Marshall have been called in to assist with the investigation. The man’s condition has not been released.

Related Posts