Mental health cited as role in last week’s armed barricaded stand-off with police

Political leaders and police cited mental health as a factor in an armed stand-off between a Six Nations man and police on a property on Chiefswood Road last Tuesday.

Beginning late on Halloween evening, around 11:30 p.m., the OPP and numerous area detachments and aerial units were called to assist the Six Nations Police after their officers came under fire from a man on a property on Chiefswood Road between Fifth Line and Sixth The man, who is in his early forties, continued to shoot at officers throughout the night and Chiefswood Road was closed down and local residents were ordered to shelter in place.

The man was finally apprehended and taken into custody around 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 1.

He was wounded by gunfire, according to police reports, and taken to hospital after being taken into custody.

Because a civilian was hurt during the stand-off, the Ontario Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has been called in to investigate the incident.

“Six Nations of the Grand River (SNGR) would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to the dedicated and professional efforts of both the SNPS, OPP and the SIU for their swift and effective response, ensuring the safety and well-being of our community,” elected council said in a press release. “Their collaboration and expertise played a pivotal role in resolving this incident peacefully.”

Outgoing Chief Mark Hill noted that mental health played a role but did not elaborate.

“First and foremost nia:wen to all of the officers with the Six Nations Police, the OPP and SIU for their quick action. The incident that occurred is a reminder of the challenges individuals may face in dealing with mental health issues. We encourage all community members to support one another, offering empathy, understanding, and resources for those who may be in need. It is crucial that we break the stigma surrounding mental health and create an environment where individuals feel safe seeking help when they require it.”

Chief Hill said it was important to openly communicate with one another and to build a supportive community where individuals can reach out to one another.

“If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health issues, please don’t hesitate to seek assistance from our dedicated community organizations and professionals,” he said. “Your well-being matters, and together, we can create a stronger and more resilient community.”

“In the aftermath of this incident, SNGR stands united with our community, demonstrating the strength that comes from compassion,” elected council said in a press release. “We are committed to providing the necessary support to all affected individuals, and together we will foster a community that values the health and well-being of each of its members.”

No officers were injured during the stand-off.

The road was re-opened almost two days later as officials continued to investigate the incident.

The man’s identity has not been released and the SIU did not return calls from the Two Row Times seeking more information.

Related Posts