Arrows still on target at 6-0


SIX NATIONS – Monday night in Burlington the Six Nations Arrows Express defeated the Burlington Chiefs by a score of 9-8. It took a goal by Haodais Maracle with 40 seconds remaining in the game to do it, but the Arrows third period collapse very nearly resulted in the Arrows’ first loss of the season. 

Six Nations held a 4-1 first period lead with goals scored by Quinn Powless, Austin Staats, Josh Johnson and Jordan Durston. The Chiefs’ goal was scored shorthanded, by Tyler Albrecht.

Burlington came out in the second period ready to prove themselves worthy opponents by scoring the first three goals of the frame, two by Donny Lomas and a single by Chris Buswell. But the Arrows gathered their composure and answered with the next three thanks to Powless, Jesse Jimmerson and Ian Martin.

With Anthony Patterson off for high sticking, Gianni Bianchin made good on a Burlington powerplay, which Frank Brown responded to a little more than a minute later to end the second period with the Arrows leading 8-5.

The game turned ugly in the third period in two ways, for Arrows fans anyway. A series of roughing calls broke the Arrows momentum and allowed the Chiefs back into the game.

Lomas, scored his third of the game and Albrecht added two more to tie the game for the Chiefs. With overtime looming and the Arrows offense sputtering, Maracle pulled the game out of the fire to take the two points at 19:20.

Doug Alton worked hard for the win in the Arrows goal as the Chiefs outshot Six Nations 48-39.

Sunday night at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena, Arrows’ goaltender Doug Jamieson recorded a rare 12-0 lacrosse shutout against the Tonawanda Tomahawks.

After half of the first period was spent feeling each other out, Austin Staats began the goal scoring parade at 10:40 assisted by Frank Brown. Blake McDonald and Alex Henry added two more quick goals scored seconds apart at 15:19 and 15:45 to end the first period with the Arrows leading 3-0. Ryan Johnson, Staats and Ian Martin earned assists.

Staats kept the Arrows Express train rolling in the second with his second of the game, at the 56-second mark from Josh Johnson and Brendan Bomberry, who scored the Arrows fifth goal at 5:30. Alex Henry netted his second of the night with a short hander at 9:57. Haodais Maracle ended the second period with Six Nations holding a 7-0 lead.

In the third there was more of the same as Ryan Johnson, Dallas John, Alex Henry, with his third, Austin Staats with his third, and Ian Martin all added goals for the 12-0 final score.

Meanwhile Jamieson was taking care of business in the Arrows crease. His hardest assignment of the night was not falling asleep as the Tomahawks only managed 18 shots on him all night. He faced 4 shots in the first, 6 in the second and 8 in the third.

One point of mild concern for Arrows’ coach Marshall Abrams was that his powerplay was scoreless after six extra man opportunities.

The Arrows see action again on Sunday, June 1st when they host the Toronto Beaches, and on Tuesday June 3rd when they take the show on the road to Whitby to visit the Warriors.

Related Posts