McCoys even series 2-2 with win in Brantford

BRANTFORD – The Brantford Blast led the Dundas Real McCoys’ two games to one heading into Sunday afternoon’s ACH playoff game at the Brantford and District Civic Centre.

But the Blast was reduced to a light breeze with a 5-1 Dundas win. The series is now tied at two games apiece with Game #5 slated for Friday, April 4th in Dundas, and Game #6 back at the Civic Centre, Saturday.

The McCoys were ready to throw some weight around, and with hard hitting and solid defense, the McCoys outworked the Blast producing a 2-0 first period lead.

Darryl Smith took a breakaway pass from Simon Mangos at 7:31 and sped in on Brett Leggat to open the scoring. Greg Stewart was left alone in front of the Brantford goal and one timed a shot past Leggat at 13:16.

Then, while most people were watching the play on the ice, a bench brawl almost erupted when Brantford’s Ryan Tocher, who was at one time a Real McCoy, and general manager Don Robertson exchanged words and some pushing and shoving occurred in the walkway between the benches.

We predicted a tough battle between two teams that dearly love to beat each other when the Dundas Real McCoys and Brantford Blast faced off to start the league championship series. Near the end of the first period a fight broke out in the hallway leading to the Blast dressing room. Photo by Jim Windle

Tocher is alleged to have speared one of Robertson’s players during a line change at the bench, which Robertson took exception to.

A beautifully executed three-way passing play in close on the Dundas net involving Cam Sault, Chris Leveille and scorer Chris Rebernik put the Blast in the game, at 3:42 of the second period. It did not create any kind of momentum, however, and Stewart and Jeff White added two more Dundas goals before the end of the period.

McCoys’ Darryl Smith added the final goal of the game at 15:28 of the third as Brantford players seemed more interested in leaving a message with the McCoys than playing the game, especially in the third period when tempers were setting off sparks right up until the final buzzer.

Shots on goal were pretty well even, but the difference was in quality shots. Dundas could have had a few more had it not been for some great saves by Leggat. Mike Mole recorded the win for the McCoys.

Despite the loss Saturday afternoon, Six Nations’ Cam Sault still recorded his average point-a-game, assisting on Brantford’s only goal of the afternoon. Photo by Jim Windle

Friday night at the Grightmire Memorial Arena in Dundas, the Blast poured it on early to take advantage of Dundas starting goaltender Mike Mole’s shaky night in net, building up a 4-2 lead after one period of play.

Scoring for Brantford was Chris Leveille, from Chris Rebernik and Cam Sault; Mark Taylor on a powerplay from Mike Ruberto and Josh Domingues; Brandon Dietrich from Joel Prpic and Mike Burgoyne; and Taylor again from Ruberto and Kyle Spurr.

For Dundas, it was Nick Smith and Ryan Christie.

In the penalty filled second period, Chad Spurr scored twice and Dietrich notched his second of the game to lead it 7-4 after two periods.

Brett Leggat was solid in the Brantford net turning aside 31 of 35 shots he faced.

The game ended like it began with Chris Levielle doubling up on the McCoys, 8-4 with the only goal of the third period.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *