Rivermen against the wall down 2-0

SIX NATIONS – The Sr. B Six Nations Rivermen have found themselves behind the Brooklin Merchants two games to none after losing Game 2 of the Clare Levack Memorial Trophy championships, 11-10, Sunday night at the Gaylord Powless Arena. The R-men dropped Game 1, Aug. 5th 8-6 in Brooklin.

Six Nations will need a better effort in Game 3 of the best of five series to stay alive when they face off Friday night in Brooklin. Game 4 is set for the Gaylord Powless Arena, Sunday Aug. 14th at the GPA at 7 p.m.. If there is a Game 5, it will be played Tuesday night, August 16th.

The Rivermen have been good for two periods of Games 1 and 2, but not so much for three periods and it has bitten them in both games.

Sunday, at the GPA, Brooklin and Six Nations battled to a 5-5 tie after 20 minutes of play as the score see-sawed back and forth all period. On this night it was the second period that undid the Rivermen as the Merchants netted three unanswered goals to take an 8-5 two period lead.

The Rivermen awake from their slumber in the third period with unanswered goals by Tom Montour, two by Roger Vyse and Cory Bomberry to put the Rivermen in front 9-8 by the 12:25 mark.

Three quick late period Brooklin goals turned the tide in the Merchants favour, 11-9.

Roger Vyse scored his third of the game at 19:41, but it would prove too little and too late for Six Nations. Chris Attwood scored four goals for the Merchants.

Friday night, the Merchants took a 3-0 first period lead at home and added a shorthander to open the second.

Wayne Hill finally put a mark on the Six Nations side of the ledger on a powerplay at 3:17. Brooklin answered with two more Merchants’ goals to increase their lead to 6-1 before Stu Hill with 32 seconds left to play in the middle stanza.

Travis Bland chipped another goal off the Merchants’ lead at 5:42 from Wayne Hill and Timmy Johnson before Jordan Sanderson scored his third of the game, his second on the Brooklin powerplay to make it 7-3 for the Merchants with 12 minutes to go in the game.

Dwayne Porter, and Layne Smith took a big bite out of the Merchants’ lead within a minute of each other and the game was once again within grasp. Wayne Hill made it a one goal game with six minutes remaining in regulation time. Jacob Crans was sent to the box for roughing at 13:38 and Jonas Derks put the bout in the basket for Brooklin at 14:32, which held up as the Merchants won it 8-6.

The Rivermen will have to win all three of the remaining series games to stay alive.

Related Posts