Warriors jump into first place

SIX NATIONS – Sunday, the Jr. C Six Nations Warriors hosted Mimico at the soft floor of the ILA. The Gaylord Powless Area was setting up for Bread and Cheese Day and was unavailable.

It was an end-to-end shootout most of the game with 32 goals scored in total, 18 for the Warriors and 14 for the Mimico Jr. C Mountaineers.

Kahn General, Lay Nolan, and a pair by Wesley Whitlow gave the Warriors a 4-0 lead before Joel Escote broke the chain at 11:38 with his goal to put Mimico on the score card.

Whitlow scored this third of the period, at 15:16 while Escote got his second with less than a minute left in the first period to go the dressing rooms with the Six Nations Warriors leading 5-2.

It was 11-7 after two periods with an 18-14 final score advancing the Warriors to first place overall in the Western division and the entire 16 team loop.

A number of Warriors shared in the scoring lead by a nine-point game by Wesley Whitlow with four goals and five assists. Daniel Henhawk scored four times, assisting on one, while Khan General notched two and assisted on three.

Saturday afternoon, the Warriors landed a few punches of their own, but in the end they took it on the chin, 13-8, losing to the Fergus Thistles at the Gaylord Powless Arena.

Fergus took a 2-0 lead before the Warriors got on track with three in response scored by Kahn General, Sid Powless and Wesley Whitlow. Then the wind changed and Fergus rattled off three. Powless scored his second of the period at 18:57, but Ryan Mueller closed the first 20 minutes of play with the Thistles leading 6-4.

The Thistles started to become a thorn under the saddle for the Rebels in the second as the temperature of the game turned up. Along the way, each team scored four more to end the period with Fergus still clinging to a two-goal lead at 10-8.

Sid Powless opened the period with three goals, interrupted by Fergus’ Ryan Baumi. Whitlow scored his second of the game as well.

In the third, the pressure cooker completely blew off at the halfway mark of the period with Deryl Porter, Sid Powless, Jesse Longboat becoming involved in a battle with Kevin O’Neil and others. If planned it would have been a great diversion tactic which worked perfectly well as Fergus accounted for the only three goals of the period to take the 13-8 win back home with them.

Thursday night, May 19th, Six Nations waxed Wilmot 17-11 using a strong third period to leave the Wild in the dust at the Wilmot Arena. It was 5-4 Six Nations after the first period, and 10-9, for the Warriors, entering the third.

In a very rough third period alone there were nine Unnecessary Roughness or Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties called to both sides along with a High Sticking major, a Checking from Behind double minor call plus the usual run of the mill penalties.

The Warriors responded with seven third period goals to win it, 17-11. Leading the Six Nations fence was Sid Powless making good on six goals while adding a half-dozen assists for a 12-point game. Daniel Henhawk was next with three goals and three assists while Wesley Whitlow scored one and assisted of five. Jesse Longboat contributed three goals as well.


Related Posts