TORONTO – The Pan/Am and Para-Pan/Am Games coming to Toronto this summer will be a wonderful opportunity for Onkwehon:we volunteers to represent their Nation as well as gain valuable experience in one of the most important aspects of these or any other major sporting event – volunteerism. The Pan/Am and Parapan/Am committee is in need
TORONTO – The Pan/Am and Para-Pan/Am Games coming to Toronto this summer will be a wonderful opportunity for Onkwehon:we volunteers to represent their Nation as well as gain valuable experience in one of the most important aspects of these or any other major sporting event – volunteerism.
The Pan/Am and Parapan/Am committee is in need of a small army of volunteers to handle the logistics of bringing together athletes from throughout the western hemisphere in a variety of sports. An estimated 24,000 volunteer positions need to be filled.
David Israelson, who is handling the communications and research and helping with the organization committee, was at the Mississaugas of the New Credit Band office this past week and expressed the immediate need for Aboriginal volunteers especially.
“Everything comes down to volunteers,” says Israelson. “What will make or break it is how many people get involved.”
Volunteers will be necessary for the set up of the events, the opening and closing ceremonies, liaisons for the athletes and so much more.
There will be more than 50 sports represented plus another 16 Parapan/Am sports, all of which will require volunteers as well.
Volunteers will receive:
- A sneak peek of the Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony created by Cirque du Soleil.
- Access to exclusive TORONTO 2015 promotions and events.
- A discount on TORONTO 2015 merchandise.
- Games-time access to public transit with accreditation.
- Meals and refreshments during shifts.
- The opportunity to receive a volunteer certificate. (It will look great on your wall!)
- Invaluable volunteer hours and work experience.
- The chance to meet international athletes, officials and sport association leaders.
- Comprehensive training to ensure you’re well prepared and confident on day one.
- The opportunity to network, make lifelong friends and try your hand at something new.
- The chance to have fun and be at the heart of the hottest event in 2015.
- And if that’s not enough, you’ll also receive a snazzy uniform.
Israelson says that applying for a volunteer position is best done on-line at http://www.toronto2015.org/volunteer.
Some athletes may use facilities at the Six Nations Track lacrosse field and New Credit facilities for practice venues as the athletes arrive.