Hagersville Hawks take Peach Kings to OT

SIMCOE – The Hagersville Hawks crushed the Hometown Storm 10-4 last Sunday, outshooting them 52-26 at the Talbot Arena in Simcoe.

The decisive win came on the heals of a close 2-1 OT loss against the Grimsby Peach Kings.

The Hawks were hot right from the start and despite the on-ice advantage all period, the period ended tied at 1-1.

Ben Curtin scored first for the Storm at 4:53, but a little more than one minute later Jacob Harrison evened the score for the Hawks.

The Storm blew again at 2:37 when CJ Tomlinson gave Simcoe the lead back with an unassisted goal at 2:37. From that point on it went due south for Simcoe as the Hawks took flight with unanswered goals scored by Travis Bell, Matt Weston and two by Tanner Brennecke.

His second goal was an interesting one for the books; a short-handed, empty net goal scored at the end of the second period. The experiment went wrong and the Hagersville Hawks were up 5-2 heading into the third period.

The Hawks went on to a 10-4 win with third period goals scored by Jacob Harrison, Tanner Brennecke’s hat trick goal and three straight Clayton Millard goals including the last two scored 11 seconds apart. Derek Friesen was the playmaker of the night with six assists.

The Hawks were the underdogs for sure Saturday night in Hagersville against the Grimsby Peach Kings.

Nobody was getting those two points easily as the league leading Grimsby Peach Kings tried to add some another win to their record before the league shuts down for the Christmas Break.

Hagersville was in sixth place but put up a contender’s fight against the powerful Kings with a 26-2-1 record, miles ahead of the 12-13-1 Hawks. But you wouldn’t think so Saturday night.

The Hawks took the Kings to OT where Daniel Scotland scored the game winner for Grimsby, 50 seconds into the OT period for the extra point. But the Hawks drew a point as well with the regulation tie.

It was a very tightly played game with no scoring in the first and third periods. Adam Kozowski broke the ice for the Kings at 10:07 of the second period, which Hayden Smith erased from Jake Stevenson at 14:39. Good goaltending at both ends of the ice kept the fans on the edge of their seats all night.

The Hawks still have some work to do before the holiday when they go to Niagara Thursday Dec. 22nd, to face the Riverhawks.

Related Posts