No Minor Hockey as of now on Six Nations

Six Nations minor hockey players last month received some crushing news.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which this past summer cancelled Six Nations sports, it was decided that minor hockey on the reserve would also for now be cancelled.

“As of this time Six Nations will not be having a season due to COVID-19,” Six Nations minor hockey vice-president Dennis MacDonald said. “If it is possible for the organization to get back on the ice then we would like to run development camps. The decision (for no Six Nations hockey season) was made September 8. We had our meeting, reviewed centres around our area and the hockey Canada guidelines along with our public health guidelines. Following the review, a vote was made.”

Reflecting on this bad news, MacDonald agrees that right now, it’s best to take a cautious safety-first approach before jumping into any hockey activity.

“There are some wishing and hoping for a season. Totally understandable,” MacDonald said. “They also realize and understand that due to the virus being so unpredictable that it perhaps is best to be cautious for the sake of the community. I feel the same. Right now, following the public health guidelines is the best interest for safety.”

Meanwhile, playing in Brantford has been an option to some players, but MacDonald believes that as far as he knows, registration is now closed.

Unfortunately, as a result of COVID-19, the Gaylord Powless arena lights will remain turned off for quite some time.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *