BRANTFORD — A Brantford man is facing charges in a child sexual exploitation investigation.
OPP Child Sexual Exploitation Unit and Brantford Police Service, in conjunction with American law enforcement began investigating in early August after the Oklahoma Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force contacted Brantford Police regarding inappropriate communications via Snapchat between a young girl and a man in Brantford.
The Brantford Police Services then identified an additional 21 victims of similar incidents in which girls were asked to share intimate photos of themselves, typically through some type of threat or extortion.
On September 6, 2023 members of the Brantford Police and OPP Child Sexual Exploitation Unit executed a search warrant at a home in Brantford.
The accused has been charged with:
- Extortion contrary to section 346(1.1)(b) of the Criminal Code – three counts
- Luring a child contrary to section 172.1(1)(a) – four counts
- Making Child Pornography contrary to section 163.1(2) of the Criminal Code – three counts
- Possession of child pornography contrary to section 163.1(4) of the Criminal Code
- Invitation to sexual touching contrary to section 152 of the Criminal Code – three counts
The name of the accused cannot be released under the terms of a court-imposed publication ban.
The investigation is ongoing and investigators anticipate additional charges may be laid and that there could be additional victims. Victims and their families are being provided with support services.
If you have any information regarding this investigation, please contact the OPP Child Sexual Exploitation Unit at 1-888-310-1122. If you have information regarding this case or any internet child exploitation and wish to provide information anonymously you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or ontariocrimestoppers.ca. Reporting information may also be made on the internet through cybertip.ca.