KANONHSTATON – Plans are being made to respond to the intimidation of Caledonia provocateurs that have been harassing those at the Kanonhstaton site for the past few weeks. But the plans are to fight hate with friendship, family, and fun. With only one man, Kawaowene, living at the “protected place” some within Caledonia see it
KANONHSTATON – Plans are being made to respond to the intimidation of Caledonia provocateurs that have been harassing those at the Kanonhstaton site for the past few weeks. But the plans are to fight hate with friendship, family, and fun.
With only one man, Kawaowene, living at the “protected place” some within Caledonia see it as an open invitation to march onto the land, provoke a response and order the arrest of anyone who opposes their world view enough to attempt to stop them.
A meeting held at the reclamation site just outside of Caledonia attracted some of the same people who were there February 28th 2006, when a small group of Six Nations land protectors took over a partially built Douglas Creek Estates housing development in an action that drew attention throughout Turtle Island.
Amongst themselves they discussed what to do, other than respond to the provocateurs in like fashion.
It was suggested that Friday nights would be Movie Night at the Kanonhstaton House at 7 pm. Sundays, a potluck dinner at 5 pm, and free peace campouts throughout the summer.
Other protective issues were also recommended, including putting up a fence around the entire site ASAP.
Last week Haldimand Mayor Ken Hewitt announced that he and his council have ordered the front barricade to the site to be torn down under police guard.
“The front gate across what Haldimand Council calls Surrey Street will remain barricaded until further notice, to protect those inside from more intimidation,” said Donna Powless, a Six Nations resident and a member of the Two Row Society, a gathering of Onkwehon:we and non-Native supporters of Indigenous Rights and land claims.
The service road off Sixth Line Road will remain open.
The controversial burned out trailer visible from Highway #6 will also remain in place as a memorial and reminder of the fire bombings against Six Nations during the hottest of times in 2006 and the summer of 2007.
“No alcohol or drugs” signs will be posted around the perimeter of the property along with “No-trespassing” signage.
“Peaceful people are welcome to the Kanonhstaton site to camp out,” says Powless. “All donations of food, fire wood, water tents and sleeping bags are most welcome.”
It was also recommended that they reestablish the communication network to quickly alert Six Nations residents and allies if there should be any further provocations at the site by Gary McHale and others.
“We can’t just leave Kawaowene here to fend for himself,” said one veteran of the 2006 standoff.
More meeting will be held to continue to gather ideas and support as summer approaches.