BRANT — Police are warning businesses subject to the provincial closures to take precautions to reduce risks of robbery.
Some tips police are recommending are:
- Remove all valuables from storefront displays
- Remove all cash from tills and leave open with the cash tray out and visibly empty
- Ensure alarm systems are working and all contact lists are up-to-date
- Post on doors/windows that the premises are monitored by an alarm company and that no money is kept on the premises.
- Clean all windows and floors prior to leaving and note when you’ve done so (have a log) as this will help investigators should there be a break-in
- Consider a surveillance system which can be monitored remotely by phone/online
- Consider putting a laminate on all windows/glass to discourage and help prevent easy entry
- Keep some lighting on inside to help with video surveillance and consider lighting on timers if possible
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked and secure
- Ensure all exterior lighting is functioning and on – consider motion sensor lights as another option
- Remove anything on the exterior which could be used to gain entry to your premises (bricks, ladders, poles, construction materials)
- Regularly check the building and keep track of when you check (have a log) but go at different times
- Like your home, if it looks cared for and looks like someone is home or around regularly, thieves will move on to other locations