Tense losses to Orangeville, Oakville for Six Nations Arrows

Last Wednesday the Arrows travelled to Orangeville to take on the undefeated Northman in Jr. A lacrosse action. The night did not start well for the Arrows as they were on the defensive right from the opening whistle.

Arrows were given five first period minor penalties while Orangeville was not called for any. This had the Arrows playing shorthanded for much of the period giving the Northmen power play a lot of opportunities. The first period would end with the Arrows trailing 7-1.

In the second period the frustration with the refs began to boil over for the Arrows as a few fights broke out resulting in players being ejected from the game.

After the refs lost control of the game the night got very busy for them as the game got very chippy, which included the Orangeville Head Coach being tossed from the game. In the end Orangeville would go in the win the game 19-5, with eight of their goals coming while on the powerplay.

The five Arrows goals were scored by Mitch VanEvery, Kahentienni Thompson, Louis Alfred, Tyler Davis and Thunder Hill. After the game the Northmen sent video in to the league disciplinary committee which resulted in three Arrows players receiving suspensions for multiple games.

On Thursday the Arrows hosted the third place Oakville Buzz in a pivotal game in the standings for the Arrows. Though missing players to suspension and injuries the home side got out to a quick start jumping out to a 2-0 lead on goals from Mitch VanEvery and Reef Beal.

The Buzz would respond with four goals of their own before Daylin John-Hill would get the last of the period to get the Arrows within one, trailing 4-3 after the first frame. Again, the Arrows would score the first two goals of the period as John-Hill buried his second of the game on the power play from Macay Jimerson and Matt Hamill.

Tyler Davis also got on the board from Mitch VanEvery and Hamill giving the Arrows a 5-4 lead. Oakville again answered the quick goals, this time adding three of their own to retake the lead 7-5 going to in the final period. For the third time the Arrows would get the first two goals of the period from Hamill and VanEvery adding his second of the night to tie the game at seven.

From there the Arrows ran into penalty trouble and they would give up three straight goals while playing a man down. Thunder Hill would add one for the Arrows with 5:49 remaining, but that is as close as the Arrows would get as they would suffer a 10-8 loss.

Sunday evening the Arrows hosted the Orangeville Northmen in there third game of the week. The Arrows were again playing with without a number of players due to suspensions. Both teams played well defensively early in the first period before Mitch VanEvery was able to open the scoring off a nice feed from newcomer Stone Evans. Tyler Davis also picked up an assist on the play.

Orangeville would score the next two to take a 2-1 lead after one period of play. The Northmen offence would come alive in the second period outscoring the Arrows 8-3 to take a 10-4 lead into the final period. The second period goal scorers for the Arrows were Reef Beal, Daylin John-Hill and Stone Evans.

Arrows offence could not solve the Orangeville netminder for long stretches throughout the game and the third period would be no different as the Arrows would come out on the wrong end of a 15-7 defeat. Arrows goalie Ethan Robertson made 48 saves in the loss.

Arrows now sit in final playoff spot in eighth place and have four critical games remaining the season, three of which are on the road at Whitby, Mimico and Kitchener-Waterloo. The Arrows final regular season home game is scheduled for Sunday July 9th at the ILA vs the Toronto Beaches at 7pm.

Related Posts