Everyone claims to have the “World’s Greatest Father” and I’m in the same boat. It is because of his unwavering guidance and support that I am where I am today.
[tweetable alt=”Everyone claims to have the “World’s Greatest Father”, I’m in the same boat.”]Everyone claims to have the “World’s Greatest Father” and I’m in the same boat.[/tweetable] It is because of his unwavering guidance and support that I am where I am today. He helps me build my cake structures, he always has the best advice, and when I was told that I needed to have a flu shot in order to have a certain job, he was right there saying he would get one with me.
As I sit here alone eating Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with a Maple Chipotle Pork Loin, I’m thinking about how growing up it was always a meat and potatoes kind of supper. [tweetable alt=”try new foods; weird, strange and “what the heck is that” foods.”] I personally always like to try new foods; weird, strange and “what the heck is that” foods.[/tweetable] I’ve learned that if you don’t like a food it’s probably because it hasn’t been prepared in a way that you would like it. Don’t be afraid to step out of the norm and try something different, something new.
During my culinary school days I would bring some fancy things home and have my father try it out. He always did try, without hesitation. In honour of my Hanih whom I have made countless dinners for, here is one of his favourite crock pot soups that I make.
Root Vegetable Soup
- 1 package of stewing beef
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- White Turnip
- Butternut Squash
- Cut up into cubes of the same size
- 1 container beef broth
- sprig of thyme
- bay leaves
- Heat a bit of oil in a frying pan
- Mix together flour, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and basil in a bowl.
- Coat beef in flour mixture.
- Sear beef on all sides in a hot pan.
- Combine meat, vegetables, bay leaves, thyme sprig in a slow cooker and cover with beef broth, a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Set your slow cooker to low and cook for approximately 6 hours.